Some dread pirates accomplish their goals through fear, killing indiscriminately and ruling their ships at rapier-point. Others minimize bloodshed and exhibit a curious sort of chivalry.
A dread pirate's lifestyle is ideal for most rogues, because the job requires a number of skills that other classes don't have the time or inclination to learn.
Alignment: Any nonlawful.
Base Attack Bonus: +4.
Feats: Weapon Finesse.
Skills: Appraise 8, Lore 8.
- Hit Die: d8
- Base Attack Bonus: High.
- High Saves: Ref.
- Weapon Proficiencies: All simple and martial.
- Armor Proficiencies: Light armor.
- Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier.
- Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff, Craft Armor, Craft Weapon, Intimidate, Listen, Lore, Perform, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spot, and Tumble.
Level 1: Two Weapon Fighting
Level 2: Fearsome Reputation +2
Level 3: Rally the Crew +1
Level 4: Spring Attack
Level 5: Luck of Heroes
Level 6: Fearsome Reputation +4
Level 7: Rally the Crew +2
Level 8: Skill Focus (Tumble)
Level 9: Fight to the Death
Level 10: Fearsome Reputation +6, Leadership
- Fearsome Reputation: By the time he attains 2nd level, a dread pirate has developed a reputation on the high seas and gains a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks. This bonus increases to +4 at 6th level and to +6 at 10th level.
- Rally the Crew: Starting at 3rd level, a dread pirate can inspire his allies (including himself) to great bravery in combat once per day. This inspiration grants them a +1 bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects, a +1 attack bonus, and a +1 bonus on weapon damage rolls. This is an instantly activated ability and lasts for 1 minute per class level. At 7th level, a dread pirate can use this ability twice per day, and the bonus increases to +2. Rally the Crew can not be used while Inspire Courage is active.
If a dread pirate has the inspire courage bardic music ability, he adds this bonus whenever he uses the inspire courage ability. For example, an 8th-level bard/3rd-level dread pirate would provide a +3 bonus on attack rolls and weapon damage rolls.
- Fight to the Death: Fight to the Death: At 9th level and higher, a dread pirate can inspire his allies to carry on against tremendous odds. Each ally affected gains temporary hit points equal to 10 + the dread pirate's Cha bonus (minimum 10), gains a dodge bonus to Armor Class equal to the dread pirate's Cha bonus (minimum +1), and gains a number of bonus hit points equal to their level. These bonuses last for 1 round per dread pirate level.